Sun 10th Sep, 2017
Big Event Launch: The Ocean Day #1!
The Ocean Day Festival addresses the UN Sustainable Development Goal #14 “Life below water”! as well as the UN Sustainable Development Goal #17 Partnerships for the Goals – We raise awareness about ocean protection, biggest threats, profitable business solutions for ocean protection, ecosystem services etc. The aim is to attract a diverse target group to educate children and adults, facilitate networking of NGOs and entrepreneurs tackling ocean challenges and collaborate. Get in touch with amazing organisations and attend our high level ocean talks!
The electricity for the event is provided by the solar power boat of Azura Marine Earth!! #gogreen
You will meet, learn from & network with these organisations:
- WWF (World Wildlife Fund) - www.wwf.or.id
- FREE Bali Dolphins - www.freebalidolphins.org
- Azura Marine Earth - www.azura-marine.com
- Bye Bye Plastic Bags - www.byebyeplasticbags.org/
- Social Impakt - www.social-impakt.com
- Misool Foundation - www.misoolfoundation.org
- Trash Hero Sanur - http://trashhero.org/chapters/sanur/
- Bali Sharks Rescue Center - https://www.facebook.com/balisharks/
- Coral Triangle Center - www.coraltrianglecenter.org
- Marine Megafauna Foundation - www.marinemegafauna.org
- Gili Eco Trust - www.giliecotrust.com
- Apneista Freediving and Yoga - www.apneista.com
- Soulwater Productions - www.facebook.com/soulwaterproductions/
- ecoBali - www.eco-bali.com
- Blue Azure - theblueazure.com
- PT. Mantra Bali - www.eco-mantra.com
- Bali Recycling - www.balirecycling.com + http://gringgo.co/
- The Eco Initiative - fb.com/theecoinitiative
- iLAB Bali - http://ilabforentrepreneurs.com/
- Hatten Wines - www.hattenwines.com
- Happy Kombucha - https://happykombucha.co/
- Mercure Resort Sanur - http://www.mercureresortsanur.com/
- Genius Café Bali - http://geniuscafebali.com/
3 pm: Big event kick-off, Introduction of all NGOs, sustainable businesses and partners of the Ocean Day.
3 pm - sunset: Exhibition:
- visit our partners stalls, network, exchange, learn about sustainability and ocean conservation projects
- 3 short documentaries on plastic in the ocean, sustainable business and trash in Bali, by R.O.L.E. Foundation, sponsored by the Danish Embassy Jakarta
- FREE Bali Dolphins Arts Exhibition
- Get active for Dolphin protection and share your thoughts
- Wine tasting sponsored by Hatten Wines
3 pm - sunset: Kids activities:
- educational activities about ocean conservation, trash etc.
- kids workshops on some of our partners' stalls
- FREE Bali Dolphins kids Puppet Show (4 rounds)
- Stand-up Paddle Boards (during high tide)
- Kids ocean face painting
5 pm - 7 pm: Live concert:
Mark Ridout & the Rhythm - an uplifting and positive folk/reggae duo from Australia!
7 pm - 9 pm: Speakers' session, Q&A session, networking:
The 3 speakers:
- The high level Marine Scientist Dr. Warwick Noble from Australia gives an introduction about ocean conservation, ecosystem services and the biggest challenges. He will also clarify why we humans depend on the oceans and need to protect them. Warwick’s favourite superheros have always been Aquaman and Captain Planet, so it seems appropriate that he pursued a career in marine science. Since being on that path, Warwick has earned a PhD, worked for Seaworld on the Gold Coast, Flinders University, the Antarctic Division of CSIRO, Department of Environment, and the Environment Protection Authority where he has been part of identifying marine environmental issues and regulating known ones. He has 20 years of experience in marine sciences, scientific research and authoring, teaching, project management and sustainable development cooperation. Warwick seeks to apply environmental science and engineering solutions wherever there is a need.
- In his talk, Julien Mélot, Belgium Engineer in Electro-Mechanics, Naval Architect and Founder of the Azura Marine Earth organization, will introduce the first solar electric jukung (boat) - a sort of Tesla of the seas - of Indonesia and how this boat came about. He will outline the impact traditional boats have on marine habitats, the solutions that exist and the pragmatic approach he calls “Organic Engineering” to initiate and boost this much needed “Eco-lution”. Finally, Julien will present the “Mission Surya Namaskar”, aimed at spreading solar seeds along the voyage of the solar boat around Bali and beyond.
- With more than 20 years of experience in the environmental field, specializing in solid waste management in Indonesia, American-born, long-term Bali resident Olivier Pouillon believes “proper waste management is essential to our ecosystems health, economy and future”. He’ll explain how through Bali Recycling and Gringgo.co he tackles the trash problem on how it helps significantly eliminate the ocean plastic issue.
Lisa Goldenberg is a Canadian attorney-turned-freediver. She is an environmental enthusiast and climate change activist. Lisa divides her time between New York City and Bali and spends as much time as possible underwater.
Our target group:
• Entrepreneurs & businesses focusing on ocean solutions
• NGOs focussing on ocean conservation
• Local Fishermen
• Balinese community
• Expat community
• Families and children
• Everyone who cares about the ocean & future of our planet