You only want to enjoy big Balinese smiles while you travel the island – so take some time to learn the basics. A little effort can go a long way so - consider this your cheat sheet in Balo lingo that will have you giggling with the locals in no time.
If you only learn one word, just one - make it – permisi. It is like sorry and excuse me all rolled into one. After a week of dodging crowds in markets, holding your place in a queue or trying to get someone’s attention - it will become the most used word in your repertoire. So brush up on your local lingo and selamat jalan.
- Terima kasih – thank you
- Saya mau pesan dua Bintang - I would like 2 Bintangs
- Jalan – jalan – walk / wander
- Enak sekali - very delicious.
- Pedas – spicy
- Apa kabar – how are you?
- Baik – fine/ good
- Berapa – how much?
- Sampai jumpa – see you later
- Hati-hati - be careful
- Terima kasih or matur suksma - thank you/ thank you very much
Written by: Fotini E Douglas