Total Bali Food Tour - From Farm to Feast
This Total Bali Food Tour will literally take you from farm to feast, starting with a visit to a local food market, a trek through the rice terraces, and finishing with a street food adventure packed with local flavours! You’ll learn about the ancient irrigation system that farmers still use today, and then sample traditional local dishes like babi guling and soto ayam at the best shops in town. This tour combines two of our favourite tours, and makes for a great afternoon and night out on Bali.
per adult from
What's included :
- Local English-speaking guide, bottle of water on arrival, food samples as per itinerary (one soto ayam per person, shared babi guling dish, dessert), beer or soft drink after the trek, transportation from end of trek to Eat Street.
What's excluded :
- Local English-speaking guide
- Bottle of water on arrival
- Meals as per itinerary (1 soto ayam per person, shared babi guling dish, 1 dessert)
- Beer or soft drink after the trek
- VW Kombi transportation to markets and from end of trek to Eat Street
- We’ll kick off our adventure with a visit to a large bric-a-brac antiques warehouse, followed by a walk through the local market, where your guide will explain how local businesses operate. Then we’ll make our way to the rice terraces of Kerobokan that define the country’s agricultural industry.
Our Bali Total Food Tour will whisk you away from the tourist track and introduce you to real local life -through its food! We'll start out on the rice terraces of Kerobokan that define the country's agricultural industry. Here, your guide will explain how the subak irrigation system works -it's an ancient irrigation system, having first been introduced by Hindu priests when they arrived on Bali over 1,200 years ago, but is still very much in use today. You'll learn more about this relationship with a visit to a local subak temple, a gathering place for farmers. We'll walk from here in to the expansive rice fields of Kerobokan, where we'll begin our trek of about two to three kilometres (wear comfy shoes that you don't mind getting wet!).
After our trek, we'll be met by our driver, who will take us back to the starting point. Here, you'll be able to change out of your trekking clothes and into something for wandering street stalls of Seminyak at night. There's no rush, though, so take a break on our large deck and watch the sun set over the rice fields before we head out in our VW Kombi limo for our feast.
Our first stop will be a local roadside warung (cafe) famous for its babi guling (rotisserie-cooked suckling pig). Your guide will order for you a shared dish for two people and explain all that appears on the plate before you - which will have maybe five or six different elements. Don't forget to buy some pork crackling!
From there, it's back into the VW Kombi and we'll head to the largest local Eat Street in Bali, tucked just behind Seminyak's major tourist area and easy to get to - but oh-so local! We'll walk from here down a dark street to the local taxi drivers' favourite soup kitchen, a very simple cement-block building that is home to the yummiest soto ayam (chicken noodle soup) in the area. This is one of Indonesia's most famous national dishes.
If you like spice, then we can stop at a small place specialising in Japanese fusion, but with a chili challenge that goes up five levels to inferno with the world's hottest chilies!
Or, if you need an energy boost after all that eating, how about an energy-filled dessert, Indonesian-style! We'll head to a small warung that's famous for its dessert made from a crumpet-style batter cooked in an earthenware pot over hot coals. Choose from the top 10 list or design your own; our favourite is Toblerone, banana, ice cream and cheese.
Your guide (now you best foodie friend on Bali) will assist you with finding a taxi for your trip back to your hotel (or to the next stop for your night out).
Departure Point :Bali Urban Adventures, Jl. Raya Kedampang, Kerobokan Kelod, Kec. Kuta Utara, Kabupaten Badung, Bali 80361, Indonesia
Departure Time :3:30 PM
Return Detail :Returns to original departure point
Hotel Pickup :
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Please wear (or bring) running shoes or river sandals that you don't mind getting wet. For the evening, you may want a different pair of comfortable walking shoes. Males should avoid wearing singlets/tank-tops.
- For your Urban Adventure you will be in a small group of a maximum of 10 people.
- Children under the age of 6 are not permitted on this tour. Please note that the food on this tour will be a very local experience with no kids meals' available.
- We will do our best to accommodate any dietary requirements. If you have any allergies or other food requests, please let us know at the time of booking. We will do our best to accommodate any dietary requirements. If you have any allergies or other food requests, please let us know at the time of booking.
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 10 travelers
- You can present either a paper or an electronic voucher for this activity.
- If you cancel at least 4 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is no cancellation fee.
If you cancel within 3 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.